The Georgia Section of the ACS is one of more than 180 local sections. Our section is located in District IV and also within the Southeast Regional Meeting area. If you have questions about ACS or the Georgia section please contact any of the section officers. For questions about this website, contact the webmaster.
Georgia Section History
In 1903 ACS had 2428 members, 17 local sections, no technical divisions, and 1 publication (Journal of the American Chemical Society (JACS)).
The Georgia Section of the American Chemical Society (comprising the entire state with headquarters in Atlanta) was chartered as the 18th local section on Jan. 23, 1904 with 22 charter members. The section’s first meeting was held on May 21, 1904.
The Georgia Section had 30 members by 1905, 181 in 1943 and 370 starting 1954. In 1954 the section celebrated its 50th anniversary and produced a special issue of the Filter Press (June 1954). Note the cover page image of a commercial “filter press” cotton seed pressing machine.
Today (2019), ACS comprises >150,000 members 185 local sections, 23 international chapters, 32 technical divisions, and publishes 70 journals. The Georgia Section has nearly 2,000 members and is one of 8 local sections with territory in the state.
This information was compiled in 2019 by section historian/archivist Don Hicks.
About the American Chemical Society
The American Chemical Society (ACS) is the world’s largest scientific society and one of the world’s leading sources of authoritative scientific information. A not-for-profit organization chartered by Congress, ACS is at the forefront of the evolving worldwide chemical enterprise and serves as the premier professional home for chemists, chemical engineers and related professions around the globe.
- Learn more about the history, mission, and vision of the ACS
- Read the current ACS Annual Report
- Become an ACS member
Common Links to ACS